Contents (Click To Jump)
- 1 What Are the Most Common Well Pump Repair Issues in Spotsylvania?
- 2 What Factors Cause Premature Well Pump Failure in Spotsylvania?
- 3 How Much Does Well Pump Repair Usually Cost in Spotsylvania?
- 4 How to Avoid Costly Well Pump Repairs in Spotsylvania?
- 5 When Do You Need Permits for Well Pump Repair in Spotsylvania?
What Are the Most Common Well Pump Repair Issues in Spotsylvania?
Private well water systems are made up of many different parts. Each of these components needs to work together to ensure safe and reliable water gets to your faucets. Below, we’ve listed the most common issues that we see with well pump repair in Spotsylvania.
Broken or Leaky Pipe
If you notice that a line of grass or vegetation is thicker and greener running from your well to your home, you may need well pump repair in Spotsylvania. This sign may indicate that you have a leak in the piping that connects your home to your well. As the leak leaves the pipe, it feeds the plants near it. This is what causes your grass to be taller and lusher here instead of the rest of the yard.
Be sure any possible leaks are dealt with in a timely manner. Ignoring leaks will cause the problem to grow, and eventually, you will have a broken or burst pipe that can cause a lot of damage to the home and well pump.
Sometimes, we are called out for well pump repair in Spotsylvania because water isn’t coming out of the tap. When this happens, the first thing we like to check is the power. Most modern well pumps work on electricity and they have their own switch in the breaker box. During storms in the area, we see a lot of power surges that can affect your pump.
You can check and see if any of your breakers have been tripped. If not, then you may have a problem with the other electrical components of your well pump. If this is the case, your system won’t function without a repair, but the good news is that most of these issues can be fixed quickly.
Well Water Quality
One of the most common reasons for well pump repair in Spotsylvania is concerns about water quality. Water is the most important element for life and clean water systems are essential. Here are some of the more likely situations we see regarding water quality.
- Cloudy Water – Most often, cloudy water is harmless and it’s caused by excessive minerals in the water or too much air in the system. These minerals accumulate because of the organic material in the city’s soil. They can be corrosive to your pipes and plumbing, causing damage. They are usually manganese, iron, calcium, and magnesium.
- Dirty Water – You will need a well pump repair in Spotsylvania if sediment and silt get into the water. Your pump is designed to filter this stuff out, so if you have dirty-looking water, your pump has silt and sediment inside. This will cause your pump to work harder and wear out sooner.
- Foul Odor – The Patuxent Formation aquifer you’re getting your water from is natural and it supports all forms of life. This includes microorganisms like bacteria. As these decay, they can become smelly. You should have your water quality tested regularly. In most cases, it is best to have your well disinfected to help with this problem. We can sanitize the well if the bacteria count is too high.
- Bad Taste – There are four main reasons for lousy tasting well water; high bacteria, nitrates, sulfur, and minerals. If this rarely occurs, you may want to try aerating or sanitizing the well. If this happens often, you may want to consider contacting us to install a filtration or osmosis system.
Over Worked Well Pump
If your pump is working harder than it needs to, it will fail sooner rather than later. An overworked pump is one of the biggest contributing factors for a premature well pump failure in Spotsylvania. The main reasons your pump might be working too hard are:
- Too many people using it for the pump size
- Leaks anywhere throughout the property
- An old pump that is on its last leg
- The wrong size pump installed
- Broken components that reduce efficiency
We will go into ways of reducing this problem a little later, but for now, you should remember that your well pump can only work as hard as it was designed to. Some signs that this is your problem are a constantly running pump and a high energy bill.
What Factors Cause Premature Well Pump Failure in Spotsylvania?
The number one reason for well pump repair in Spotsylvania is due to premature failure. This means that the pump has stopped working or broke earlier than it should have. Most pumps are designed to last 8-10 years under normal circumstances, while many residents have seen pumps last twice as long. If you are not getting this much time out of your well pump, it might be the wrong size.
If your well pump is too small for your water needs, you will have a premature failure. You will also need well pump repair in Spotsylvania because we will need to pull up the pump to fix it or install a bigger unit. This happens because your pump is working way harder than it was designed to. A larger pump will perform better and it will likely save you money on your electricity bill.
Another reason for premature failure is not keeping up with routine maintenance. One of the perks of having your own private water system is having control over the quality of your drinking water. One of the cons is that you need to maintain your system to ensure quality and safety—more on this a little later.
How Much Does Well Pump Repair Usually Cost in Spotsylvania?
If you need well pump repair in Spotsylvania, you’ll want to know how much it will cost you. Unfortunately, we can only give you a rough estimate based on past work. However, if you need a more accurate estimate for your well pump problem, we can help. In most cases, the cost range will be between $150 and $1,860. Here are the common factors that will change the price you pay.
Size of Well Pump
The depth of your well will influence the price of well pump repair in Spotsylvania. Most of the private wells in Spotsylvania, Virginia, are drilled into the Patuxent Formation Aquifer. This usually means the well needs to be drilled between 100 and 400 feet to reach the water.
The reason the depth influences the cost is due to the amount of time, work, and equipment that is needed to bring the pump up. A pump that is 100 feet below the ground will usually be easier to bring up than one that is 400 feet. Once the pump is removed, we can begin to fix or replace it. Putting it back is also a lot more work when the well is deeper.
Type of Well Pump
Another cost factor to consider for well pump repair in Spotsylvania is the type of pump you have. Some pumps are designed to handle more work and others are designed to be at a low depth. Knowing what type you have can be the first step in estimating your costs. Unfortunately, many people do not know much about their well pump because they aren’t always the property owners that installed it.
If you do not know what type you have, we can help figure that out. However, if you do know the type and model, here are some of the costs that you may expect for repairing each kind.
Submersible Well Pumps
This type of well pump is submerged deep underwater, pumping it upward. These can get pretty pricey, but they’re often more efficient and last longer. These are the most popular for homeowners in Spotsylvania, Virginia, because they can work well at very low depths. A submersible well pump repair in Spotsylvania will range between $420 and $2,150.
Jet Well Pumps
A jet well pump repair in Spotsylvania will likely cost you less money. The price range will be about $125 to $1,400. These cost less because the pumps are closer to the water surface, not 400 feet deep like many properties in Spotsylvania. Therefore, they are much easier to reach, repair, or replace. These pumps are not as popular because the water in our local aquifer is very low and these pumps may not have as much power to bring it up with enough water pressure.
Solar Well Pumps
Green is the new gold, especially when so many people are trying to be more “off-grid” and self-reliant. If lower electric bills and sustainability are important to you, solar well pumps are an option. You can switch your pump to solar, taking your water supply off-grid. This will cost you more upfront but less each month on utilities. Plus, you will still have access to water when the power grid shuts down.
Age of Well Pump
The age of your well and well pump is important when the time comes to make repairs. As your equipment gets older, it can be harder to find the right parts. In some cases, parts might need to be specially made, or newer parts will need to be adapted to work with the rest of the unit. At some point, you will need to decide if a new pump will cost you less than constantly maintaining and repairing one that is less effective.
How to Avoid Costly Well Pump Repairs in Spotsylvania?
The best way to avoid costly well pump repair in Spotsylvania is to keep up with all routine maintenance and inspections. You are more likely to have well pump failures if you are not maintaining it. This includes well pump inspections and water testing by our experts each year. It is also a good idea to do your own inspections weekly or monthly. This should include:
- Checking the PSI in your well pump pressure tank
- Checking for signs of leaky pipes from well to house
- Listening for any clicking or unusual sounds
- Looking at your water through a clear glass
If anything seems like a red flag to you, trust your instinct and give us a call. The longer you wait to get help, the more costly the repairs can become.
When Do You Need Permits for Well Pump Repair in Spotsylvania?
The application process for well pump repair in Spotsylvania can be a little confusing. Not only do you need a permit before you can start any work, but you also need to sign an affidavit that your plans follow the Spotsylvania Health Department codes. The State of Virginia Health Department recommends, and in most cases, requires you to use a licensed professional like us depending on the work. We know how to file the necessary documents to get the job done right.